Gulf Coast at #AWP16: Dance Yr Ass Off (Contest), Raffles, Gulf Coast 28.2 & More
Gulf Coast Online
Mar 29, 2016
This week, Gulf Coast is headed to the land of the stars--literary stars, that is! Wednesday, March 30th through Saturday, April 2nd, Gulf Coast will be representing at #AWP16, from our handsome booth at the bookfair (#734), to the Gulf Coast & 7x7 “GC Dance Yr Ass Off Party," and the many Gulfcoasters dropping knowledge and goodness at panels and readings.
The Highlight Reel:
- One-year Subscriptions + Tote Bag: For anyone who purchases a subscription at/or during AWP, you'll receive a snazzy Gulf Coast tote bag, big enough to hold the 600+ pages of glorious writing and visual art we'll send you this year! One side of the tote features a quotation from Antena in both Spanish and English, and the other side includes a rabbit, a fishing net, and somehow it all works! Plus, any new subscribers will be entered into a raffle for a $100 gift certificate to Powell's books.
- Check out our newest print issue, including art by Miguel Angel Ríos, nonfiction by Andrea Lee, fiction by Stuart Dybek, a folio of Latina/o and Latinx poets, Steve Dalachinsky's musings on Basquiat, and too many other wonderful things to tell!
- GC Dance Yr Ass Off Party with 7x7 at Art Share LA, 801 E 4th Place: On Friday, April 1st, from 7-11PM, Gulf Coast and 7x7, a new online journal featuring collaborations between writers and visual artists, will host a reading and dance party. We'll have free beer, cake to celebrate Gulf Coast's 30th birthday, and a DJ to make sure no one stays on the wall. Also, there's a dance contest. That's right, a dance contest. Judged by our beloved David Tomas Martinez. The winner will receive $100 and there will be two honorable mentions.
- 7-8PM: Reading with Michele Filgate, Fatimah Asghar, Bryan Hurt, and Bridget Dooley
- 8:30PM: Turntables fired up and dancing begins in preparation for the dance contest at 10PM.
- **Cake and libations and fabulousness throughout**
- Questions about the 2016 Gulf Coast Prizes? Feel free to come by booth 734, look at the winning entries from last year--two of which were nominated for Pushcarts!--and run any questions by the staff. The contest closes on April 9th, so folks will have a little time, post-AWP, to send some poetry or prose our way! Those who do so get a yearlong subscription, too.
Stay in the loop on Twitter with @awpwriter, @gulf_coast, @7x7_la & #AWP16
Add a Comment